Malaysian Laws PDF Print E-mail
Money and Exchange Controls


Many countries have regulations on the amount of money which can be taken out of the country. Please check whether such regulations apply to you, and if so, contact the appropriate agency to obtain the necessary permission to bring large sums of money out of your country. There is no limit to the amount of money you can bring into Malaysia.

Custom Allowance


Custom usually allows you to bring used and small personal effects into Malaysia free of duty charges.
However, if you are staying for a year or more in Malaysia, the customs regulations will allow the free import of only one type of new article such as radio, cassette players, cameras or watches.

If you require any further information about Customs Regulations please contact the Malaysian Embassy or High Commission before you leave for Malaysia.


Drug Laws


The laws relating to illicit or entertainment drugs are strict and the penalty for breaking them is severe. Malaysia strictly enforces its drug laws.
Malaysian legislation (sale of Drugs Act 1952 revised 1989) provides for a mandatory death penalty for convicted drug traffickers. Under Malaysia anti-drug laws any person found in possession of at least 15 grams of heroin, 200 grams of cannabis is presumed, unless the contrary is proven by the accused, to be trafficking in the drug.

you need to bring any drugs which have been prescribed by your doctor, you must bring evidence of the type of drug you are using. Otherwise, they will be confiscated. Drugs such as cannabis, LCD and cocaine are absolutely prohibited and Customs officers and police have the right to search for illegal drugs.Remember, never allow strangers to carry your bags at the airports, and never leave your belongings unattended.

Employment Permission

All overseas nationals are required to seek permission if they wish to work while they are studying. It can be difficult to get this permission and suitable jobs are difficult to find. You should therefore NOT plan on supplementing your finances by trying to work in Malaysia, as you will only be granted permission to work if there is no competition from local labors.

Married Students with or without Children

You should have enough money to support your family once they have arrived in Malaysia. Do not assume that your spouse will be allowed to work. It is strongly recommended that you do not bring your family to Malaysia until you have arranged suitable accommodation for them. By law, you must arrange for children over six years of age to go to school (your Embassy or High Commission in Malaysia can provide details about schooling arrangements).




UTP Residential College Administration will make every effort to find suitable accommodations, although it is not possible to pre-book private accommodation. Priority is given to overseas students in allocating places in the University accommodation.